With the increasing number of natural disasters, having an emergency preparedness plan in place is more important than ever.
From earthquakes, to wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, and flooding – no one is exempt. Even a severe winter storm can cause power outages and leave you housebound for days at a time. Emergency services and rescue teams cannot respond to everyone immediately. Being prepared is the best way to keep your family safe and protected when disaster strikes.
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), only 39% of Americans have developed an emergency plan, even though almost 80% of families live in areas that could be affected by weather related disasters.
We all know it’s important, but it can be easy to put off, especially when the danger doesn’t seem imminent. However, an emergency situation can come upon us quickly, leaving us little time to prepare. That’s why planning ahead is important. Having the right supplies and knowing what to do in all possible scenarios can help limit the physical damage and emotional impact of an emergency or disaster situation.
Having an emergency preparedness plan is the key! Think of it like buying insurance – you hope you never need it, but if there ever comes a time when you do, you will be glad you made the investment. The benefits for both you and your family are invaluable.
An emergency preparedness plan can:
- Give you peace of mind. Knowing that you have a plan in place to protect your family and property in the event of an emergency will make you feel safe and secure.
- Help limit the impact of a disaster situation. Knowing what to do, and being able to respond quickly and properly, can help limit damage, save lives, and ensure that your family’s safety.
- Make sure everyone is informed. Does everyone in your family know what to do in an emergency situation? If your children aren’t home, do they know where to meet or how to contact you? Does everyone know where to take shelter or find medical assistance? Having a plan in place will ensure that all members of your household know how to respond in a safe and responsible manner.
- Keep everyone calm. When faced with an unexpected or devastating situation, it is not uncommon to feel panic, anxiety, or even fear. It’s easy to become confused or uncertain about the correct course of action. “What do I do?”, “Where do I go?”, “Who do I call?”. A disaster preparedness plan can help keep you and your family calm so that everyone can make quick, rational – and possibly life saving – decisions.
- Speed up the recovery process. Things like limiting damages, having proper paperwork and insurance documentation, planning temporary living arrangements, or having access to emergency cash, can go a long way toward helping your family recover more quickly from a disaster or tragedy.
So, yes, an emergency preparedness plan is critical and every family should have one. You probably agree – that’s why you are here! But, where do you start? Well, you’ve come to the right place. From building an emergency preparedness kit, to securing your home, shutting off your utilities, finding local shelters, or gathering vital records, we can give you all the information you need to learn how to prepare your family, your property, and even your pets in the event of a natural disaster or emergency. We have tips, advice, and valuable resources to help you create a plan for whatever situation you may face.
The possibility of a disaster or emergency situation can be frightening. While we can’t prevent these things from happening, we can devise an emergency preparedness plan to ensure that our loved ones stay safe. And, that’s the most important thing, right?